Click to Home
Help Center
Go To Search
Graphic Links
City of Warrenville
28W701 Stafford Place
Warrenville, IL 60555
Ph: 630-393-9427
Building Permits
The Building Division of the Community Development Department assists with the following services: 
  • Obtaining building permits for new construction, additions, remodeling and demolition
  • Coordinating review and approval of building plans
  • Issuing sign and occupancy permits
  • Conducting building, plumbing and electrical inspections
  • Issuing outdoor display/temporary sign permits
The Building Division makes every attempt to process building permits as expeditiously as possible. A representative from the Building Division will contact the applicant upon permit approval. Your patience and understanding will be appreciated.

Cargo Container Placement Permit
Cargo containers, temporary membrane structures, storage tents, and temporary storage canopies may be placed on a private property not more than four times, for a total of 30 days in any one calendar year. The City of Warrenville chief building official may extend the length of time a cargo container, temporary membrane structure, storage tent, or temporary storage canopy can remain on private property to a maximum of 120 days provided the cargo container, temporary membrane structure, storage tent, or temporary storage canopy is located on a property that has a valid building permit for a major construction project and is used to store construction equipment, construction materials, and/or relocated personal possessions. Cargo containers, temporary membrane structures, storage tents, and temporary storage canopies shall not be located in required interior side or rear yard setbacks. A permit from the City of Warrenville Community Development Department is required to place temporary cargo containers, temporary membrane structures, storage tents, and temporary storage canopies on a private property.

Outdoor Retail Display Permit

Any person wanting to display merchandise for sale outdoors must obtain a permit. The building inspector will inspect the display area. The initial and annual renewal fee for this permit is $25. Permits may be used for annual, seasonal, or temporary display.

Overweight / Oversize Vehicle Permit (Oxcart Permit System)
The City requires overweight/oversize vehicles to secure a permit for the transport of these vehicles on city streets. The fee schedule for these permits is listed in the ordinance.  Apply for the permit using Oxcart Permit Systems.

Sign Permit
An application for a sign permit must be accompanied with a completed Building Permit Application, two sets of Plat of Survey for ground signs, or Building Elevation Drawings for wall signs, two sets of sign drawings, and any other pertinent information (see Sign Regulations for details).

Special Use Permit
Most land uses are only allowed to operate in certain Zoning Districts. Some uses cannot be allowable generally in a particular zoning district, but may be allowed under special conditions. Such uses require Special Use Permit approval. Refer to the Section three of the Zoning Ordinance or contact the Community Development Department to confirm that the proposed land use is permitted at the specific site. Special Use Permit approvals require a Formal Public Hearing. The Plan Commission holds a Public Hearing and provides a recommendation to the City Council. The City Council makes the final decision on the petition.

In recommending or granting approval or conditional approval of a Special Use, the City Council and Plan Commission shall prepare written findings of fact that on the basis of the characteristics cited under Review of Special Uses Section seven of the Zoning Ordinance or changes to such characteristics that conditions to which the approval is made subject require the proposed use will be compatible with existing uses in the area, and with Permitted Uses in the zoning district, in the following ways:
  • Traffic - Any adverse impact of types or volumes of traffic flow not otherwise typical in the zoning district has been minimized
  • Environmental Nuisance - Any adverse effects of noise, glare, odor, dust, waste disposal, blockage of light or air, or other adverse environmental effects of a type or degree not characteristic of Permitted Uses in the zoning district, have been appropriately controlled
  • Neighborhood Character - The proposed use will fit harmoniously with the existing natural or man-made character of its surroundings and with Permitted Uses in the zoning district
    • The use will not have undue deleterious effect on the environmental quality, property values, or neighborhood character already existing in the area or normally associated with Permitted Uses in the district
  • Public Services and Facilities - The proposed use will not require existing community facilities or services to a degree disproportionate to that normally expected of Permitted Uses in the district, nor generate disproportionate demand for new services or facilities as compared with the Permitted Uses, in such a way as to place undue burdens upon existing development in the area
  • Public Safety and Health - The proposed use will not be detrimental to the safety or health of the employees, patrons, or visitors associated with the use nor of the general public in the vicinity
  • Other Factors - The proposed use is in harmony with any other elements of compatibility pertinent in the judgment of the commission or council to the particular Special Use or its particular location

Special Use Permit for Kennel Operators
The owner or operator of any kennel must first obtain a special use permit. This permit is required for any place where four or more dogs, of an age of four months or older, are kept as household pets, for breeding, grooming, boarding, sheltered, trained, or sold for commercial or humane purposes, or which offers provisions for minor medical treatment, including animal shelters. A minimum of one undivided acre is required to house four or more dogs for a private kennel. Two undivided acres are required for a commercial license for up to 19 dogs, and a minimum of two additional undivided acres are required for each additional 10 dogs. The permit cost is $80.

Street Building Mounted Number Signs Requirements

  • Front Building Façade Identification - Address numbers / letters must be four inches tall on the front façade of the building and readily visible from the adjoining street in a color that contrasts with the background surface
  • Individual Unit / Suite Front Door Identification - Suite numbers / letters of individual units in a multi-tenant building must be two-inches and on the exterior side of the main front entrance door or on the side of the front window glass closest to the front door
  • Rear Exit Door Identification - Four inch tall address numbers shall be displayed on the rear exit door of each building
    • In a multi-tenant building, four-inch tall unit numbers / letters shall be displayed below the four-inch tall address numbers
    • Individual tenants are encouraged to display the name of the individual business on their rear exit door
    • All address, unit, and suite information displayed on the rear exit doors must be weather resistant and a color that contrasts with the background surface