Trailhead Project

Location: The project area includes a section of the Illinois Prairie Path located in front of the City Hall and Warrenville Public Library, generally at Illinois Route 56 and Batavia Road.

Current Status: 

  • Construction was completed in Summer 2023.
  • The ribbon cutting ceremony was on July 27, 2023.   

Project Overview: In 2016, the City of Warrenville City Council authorized the creation of the Trailhead Workgroup which was charged with the development of a conceptual plan for the Trailhead project.  The Workgroup consisted of key stakeholders from the City Council, Plan Commission, Bicyclist and Pedestrian Advisory Commission, Warrenville Park District, Warrenville Library District, Illinois Prairie Path and DuPage County. In December2021, the City Council approved the final Trailhead design plans and construction costs. Key elements include:

  • Construction of a permanent bathroom facility with a covered picnic shelter area and a drinking fountain;
  • Installation of a bike repair station, bike racks, and support components;
  • Improvements to the existing gazebo to make it ADA accessible;
  • Construction of a Illinois Prairie Path heritage seating area and informational kiosk;
  • Providing gathering space improvements necessary to accommodate community events;
  • Installation and relocation of walkway lighting and updated site furnishings; 
  • Installing landscape improvements and relocating the existing butterfly garden.

Funding: Surface Transportation Program (STP) funding will cover 75% of construction and construction engineering costs.  The remaining 25% will be paid by the City. The City also received a Comed and Openlands Green Region Program grant to help support the installation of the butterfly garden and native plantings as part of this project. 

Resident Engineer: Engineering Resource Associates

Design Engineer/Architect: Engineering Resource Associates, Hitchcock Design Group, Kluber Architects

Questions? Call the Community Development Department at 630-836-3050

ribbon cut20230727_13130420230727_13152020230727_13145420230727_131334