The City of Warrenville’s Treasurer is currently an elected position. This November, Warrenville voters will be asked to decide whether the Treasurer should continue to be elected, or whether the Treasurer should instead be appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council. The duties of the City Treasurer are listed in Section 1-6-8 of the Warrenville City Code at: https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/warrenvilleil/latest/warrenville_il/0-0-0-303
The following question will appear on the November 8, 2022 ballot:
"Shall the City Treasurer in the City of Warrenville be appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council, rather than be elected?"
Some of the issues the City Council considered before placing this question on the ballot include:
* The majority of suburban communities in DuPage County and other Chicago metro areas have already changed to an appointed Treasurer.
* The duties of the Finance Director and the duties of the Treasurer are largely redundant. Municipalities with appointed Treasurers often designate their Finance Director to also serve as the Treasurer, which eliminates these redundancies.
* The Treasurer position was vacant prior to the last consolidated municipal election in 2021 and no candidates ran for the office.
* The position is currently vacant.
* It is not known whether anyone plans to run for the office of City Treasurer at the next Consolidated Municipal Election in April, 2023.