Building Permit Information, click on any of the tabs below for a PDF informational brochure
- Basement Conversion
- Decks & Gazebos
- Detached Garage
- Electric Backup Generator
- Electrical Misc.
- Lawn Irrigation
- Residential Construction
- Retaining Walls
- Swimming pool
- Window Replacement
Permits are required before beginning new construction, repairs, additions, alterations or demolition projects.
Permits are not required for painting, flooring, tiling, changing out cabinetry, electrical and plumbing fixtures. Non-structural repairs to interior surfaces don’t require permits provided no changes are made to the structural framing, electrical, or plumbing. Replacement of yard fences does not require permits unless more than 30% of the entire fence is being replaced.
The Community Development Department is available to assist you with any questions you might have in obtaining building permits for new construction, additions, remodeling, and demolition. Our staff coordinates the review and approval of building plans to assure the process is completed as expeditiously as possible. If questions or concerns arise in the processing, the applicant is contacted for further information or corrected documents. Upon completion of the review process, the applicant is notified of the approval and fee amount. The Building Division makes every attempt to process building permits.
- A building permit application is to be filled out and submitted to the Building Division.
- Drawings for residential projects for commercial projects showing project construction details which may include electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire safety.
- Plat of survey showing the location of the project, dimensions, distances to all lot lines from the project, and the location of the electric meter.
- The contractor must contact JULIE at 811, 48 hours prior to any digging.
- DuPage County Traffic Impact Fee Receipt confirming fees are paid (if applicable).
- DuPage County Health Department letter confirming approval (if applicable).
- A complete building permit application takes approximately ten working days to be reviewed. A project requiring zoning and engineering review may take longer.
- The building permit fee is based on the value of construction and scope of work. Additional plan review fees may be assessed by the Plan Examiner and added to the building permit fee. A performance building bond is also required. The building bond is refundable upon completion of the project in accordance with all applicable City Ordinances. All fees and bonds are paid when the permit is picked up.
Electricians are required to be registered with the City, which includes:
- Completed Registration Application
- $35.00 annual Registration fee
- Copy of license and $5,000.00 surety bond
Plumbers must provide a copy of their State license and a Letter of Intent.
Roofers must provide a copy of their State license.
Inspections are required to confirm a project has been done in compliance with the codes and approved documents. Please contact the Community Development Department at least one business day prior to your intended date of inspection. Requests for inspections are granted only for morning or afternoon timeframes. A set of the approved plans must be kept on-site and made available for the inspector upon request.