Building Permitting Information
The Building Division of the Community Development Department assists with the following services:
- Obtaining building permits for new construction, additions, remodeling, and demolition
- Coordinating review and approval of building plans
- Issuing sign and occupancy permits
- Conducting building, plumbing, and electrical inspections
- Issuing outdoor display/temporary sign permits The Building Division makes every attempt to process building permits as expeditiously as possible. A representative from the Building Division will contact the applicant upon permit approval.
Permits are required for residential and commercial construction projects in the City, including, but not limited to:
- Basement conversion(PDF)
- Deck/Gazebo/Open Porch(PDF)
- Detached Garage(PDF)
- Electrical backup generator(PDF)
- Electrical work(PDF)
- Lawn irrigation systems(PDF)
- Plumbing projects/sewer repair(PDF)
- Residential construction and additions(PDF)
- Retaining walls over 3 feet in height(PDF)
- Sign, temporary and permanent (PDF)
- Swimming Pool(PDF)
- Window/Door Replacement(PDF)
Other projects that require permits include water/sewer connections and projects that encroach into public rights-of-way. Permits are required whether the work is done by the homeowner, a friend/relative, or a contractor.
- A building permit application is to be filled out and submitted to the Building Division.
- Drawings for residential projects for commercial projects showing project construction details which may include electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire safety.
- Plat of survey showing the location of the project, dimensions, distances to all lot lines from the project, and the location of the electric meter.
- The contractor must contact JULIE at 811, 48 hours prior to any digging.
- DuPage County Traffic Impact Fee Receipt confirming fees are paid (if applicable).
- DuPage County Health Department letter confirming approval (if applicable).
- A complete building permit application takes approximately ten working days to be reviewed. A project requiring zoning and engineering review may take longer.
- The building permit fee is based on the value of construction and scope of work. Additional plan review fees may be assessed by the Plan Examiner and added to the building permit fee. A performance building bond is also required. The building bond is refundable upon completion of the project in accordance with all applicable City Ordinances. All fees and bonds are paid when the permit is picked up.
Electricians are required to be registered with the City, which includes:
- Completed Registration Application
- $35.00 annual Registration fee
- Copy of license and $5,000.00 surety bond
Plumbers must provide a copy of their State license and a Letter of Intent.
Roofers must provide a copy of their State license.
PERMITTED HOURS OF CONSTRUCTION ARE:
7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Sunday, and Federal Holidays